Monday, November 26, 2012

What Thanksgiving Taught Me

This past week was not only Thanksgiving, but also my wedding anniversary and my son's birthday. So, needless to say, there was a LOT of celebrating going on. This morning, after a hot and heavy work out at the gym, I weighed myself to find that I'd put on 2.5 lbs. Yikes! I know it might not seem like a lot, but it's a total of 5 lbs gained since I hit my lowest weight 2 weeks ago. I can't afford to gain anymore. I need to stop the gain and start losing again. 

Since this was my first holiday since starting my WFPBNP, I consider this past week sort of a test run. A trial, to help me better prepare for Christmas and frankly, the holidays I'll be facing the rest of my life. So...this is what I learned (you probably know most of it, but I'm going to list it anyway).

1. Moderation Kills! Scott was the first to mention this to me, and I have mentioned to it others (and chanted it in my own head many times).  Here's what happened. I decided that, with the entire week of celebrations centering around food, I would allow myself a 'cheat day' and eat small portions of foods I would not otherwise allow myself to eat. Sadly, cheat 'day' turned into cheat 'days'. I had a very small slice of carrot cake on Friday. I had a very small slice of cheese cake on Saturday, and some 'regular' chips with salsa. By Sunday, however, I was basically eating anything I wanted. Oops.

The bad news: What I found is that once I said "okay" to a food that I otherwise wouldn't eat, it became easier and easier to say "okay" to other off-limit foods. Although I have very small portions of each food item, I ended up eating a wide variety of foods I didn't need and didn't really want. I ended up craving sweets again, after finally getting rid of that tendency.

The good news: I found that a very small portion satisfied my craving and I was able to walk away from that food for good. Meaning, I had one slice of carrot cake and since then, haven't craved it again. The remaining cake will most likely be thrown out. I had a slice of cheese cake and now I don't want it again. So, even though I craved sweets, I could tell a difference between how I eat these foods now, compared to the way I ate before (unlimited portions). This made me feel good. In control! It helped me see that I won't suddenly cave and go off the deep end. Not permanently, I mean. I am in control and can regain control quickly after making a poor choice.


2. My body knows the difference!

After taking 2 days off from my work out and two days (which turned into three) days off of my nutrition plan, I felt GROSS!! Physically and emotionally, I felt bad. It wasn't just feeling bad about eating off-limits foods, either. It was depression. Depression because I wanted to do better than I was, because I knew I was cheating myself. And also, because my body knows the difference between whole, nutritious foods and those that are...not. 

The bad news: Eating crappy and skipping work outs made me feel sluggish, fat and unhappy.  Skipping one work out made it that much harder to go the next day. Skipping the second work out made me want to give up on my new lifestyle completely. I don't feel powerful or successful when I eat junk and skip work outs. My body needs good food and exercise.

The good news: After a weekend of basically hating myself, I started on the right foot again today. I hit the gym hard, stayed out of the kitchen, and texted my sister, who is always good for support when I need it. Having a buddy, spouse, sibling or even a co-worker whom you can turn to, or looking online at blogs is a great way to feel empowered again and get yourself back in the game. Just like at Alcoholics Anonymous, where they give each member a sponsor, we need support. I'm grateful that I have it. Thanks guys!!

3. Whole Foods are not Free Foods

Even on the days I've been sticking to my WFPBNP (Whole Foods Plant Based Nutrition Plan), I've gained weight. I've gone from a diet almost completely animal based (and fat based) to a diet of fruits, vegetables, whole grains, beans and nuts. How is it that I'm not super-model thin?? The answer? Well, whole foods aren't calorie free. 

The bad news: Even though I am eating healthy foods, I'm eating too much. Snacking on nuts and whole grain bread is a lot better than Twinkies and Coke, but nuts and whole grains have calories, too. I've allowed myself to snack too much and used the excuse that my snacks were healthy. I find that,with whole foods, I fill up on a lot less food, which is good, but in return, I get hungry again a lot faster. I may need to eat more than three meals...I may need to eat four of five small meals, but I need to plan for them, figure out my total calories, and make sure I'm not snacking in between.

The good news: A little planning goes a long way. If I think ahead, plan my meals, stay out of the kitchen and drink more water (instead of soy milk or juices), I'll consume fewer calories. Also, I'm going to cut back on fruits and grains and instead, have the bulk of my calories come from vegetables. Too many of my food choices center around nuts, grains and fruits, which tend to be high in calories and natural sugars. It may not be necessary for you to cut back on these things, but for me, it means the difference between losing weight or not. The first two weeks I went whole foods, my diet was centered around vegetables and the weight came off. Now, it's not. But this is something I can change with a little effort and planning.


I learned: I don't need a cheat day. I don't want a cheat day. Or a cheat minute. Or a cheat food. I want to stick to my nutrition plan. Otherwise, one little bite leads to another, which leads to another, and soon the cravings begin. Plus, once I stop the nutrition plan, it's that much harder to get back on it again. Some people need or want cheats. I thought I wanted cheats, too. But I don't. Moderation killed my diet last week.

I don't want a day off from the gym. I have been going five days per week and am trying to do six. More than one day off in a row and I start to feel down about my weight and my life in general. For weight control, physical health and mental stability, I need to work out. I WANT to work out!! I have often regretted days when I have skipped the gym. I've never regretted a day when I've gone. (P.S. I worked out on Thanksgiving Day, which was my goal. So all is not lost!!)

I need to plan better. If I know what food I'll be facing, I can bring an alternative whenever appropriate. I can skip food-based celebrations. I can eat before I go some place where I know there will be food. 

I need to stop eating when I'm full and skip the snacking. Like Scott mentioned in the previous entry, my body needs very little food to survive. What helps me is to brush my teeth right after a meal so I don't pick off my kids' plates or go back for seconds. I often want something sweet to take the taste of my meal out of my mouth and brushing helps. Flossing helps too, especially when I'm eating foods with small seeds and things. When I can't brush? I chew gum. It may not be a whole food, but it keeps me from going back for food that I don't really want and I certainly don't need. It helps fight the urge to snack, as well.

Got some tricks or tools that help you stay on your WFPBNP?? I'd love to hear them!

1 comment:

  1. Great learning experience. It's what I've learned over and over again through my life--which is another way of saying that I didn't learn the lessons well enough. I'm hoping that now I have learned the lessons and keep on the full and complete WFPBNP.

    ReplyDelete