Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Mashed Cauliflower (Mock-Potatoes)

I ate these at a church function (and went back for seconds!) before I found out they weren't mashed potatoes, but mashed cauliflower instead. My friend's recipe is different than the one I found online so I'll post both (first the online version, then hers). Although I still eat and enjoy potatoes, this is a great way to get added vegetables into my diet. 





 (Online version)
   
Ingredients: 

  • 1 medium head cauliflower, trimmed and cut into small florets (about 6 to 7 cups)
  • 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
  • Sea salt and ground black pepper, to taste 
Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add cauliflower and cook until very tender, about 10 minutes. Reserve 1/4 cup of the cooking liquid and then drain well and transfer cauliflower to a food processor. Add oil and reserved water, 1 tablespoon at a time, and puree until smooth. (Or, mash cauliflower with a potato masher). Season with salt and pepper and serve.
Nutritional Info: 
Per Serving:110 calories (80 from fat), 9g total fat, 1g saturated fat, 0mg cholesterol, 330mg sodium, 8g carbohydrate (3g dietary fiber, 3g sugar), 3g protein
   
(Loretta Barrow's version)
Ingredients:
  •  1 medium head cauliflower, trimmed and cut into small florets
  •  vegetable broth or unsweetened soy or almond milk (to add as needed for consistency)
  •  salt, pepper or other seasonings, to taste
Steam cauliflower in microwave or on stove until very tender. Drain completely, using paper towels to "pat" up any access moisture. Use food processor for smooth 'potatoes' or mash for chunky, adding vegetable broth (or milk) until desired consistency is reached. Season to taste. Serve hot. 

1 comment:

  1. I just heard about this technique today from Danette. I'm so glad u posted an actual recipe. I've gotta give it a try.

    ReplyDelete