Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Layered Tex-Mex Lasagna Part II

So, Suzanne's blog on the Layered Tex-Mex Lasagna inspired me to try it. I followed every one of her recommended changes. I used less tomato sauce, less corn, more salt, parchment paper, and even cut some corners that she recommended and some of my own.

First, I used refried beans rather than cooking and mashing them. This is the top layer of the bean mix. As you can see, it has corn (less than the amount called for), olives, red onions (I didn't have green onions), and spices. You can probably see that I don't have an excess of tomato sauce:

After two layers of corn torillas, I ran out, so I substituted some flour tortillas on the top layer.

I then added the last layer of tomato sauce and covered the dish with cooking parchment.

This is how it turned out.

After adding lettuce, it was a delicious meal! I had two helpings. Beverly had four! So it must have been a success.

Here's what I'm going to try in the future:
  1. Rather than adding individual spices to the tomato sauce, I'm going to just add taco or fajita seasoning. I think it will be faster and taste better.
  2. I'm going to continue to use refried beans, as mentioned above.
  3. I hope to use green onions the next time. They would have a better flavor.
  4. I'm going to add green and maybe red peppers next time, just to add more vegetables, flavor and texture.
To meet my year-end goal of trying 8 new dishes, I now only have 7 more to go. Any more ideas, Sue?

1 comment:

  1. I'm working on it! I'll let you know. Glad you tried it and that it wasn't gross (although it did sort of look gross, didn't it?). Anyway, I'll try to add a few new recipes for you to try very soon.

    ReplyDelete