Monday, November 26, 2012

Blender/Food Processor Dilema

One thing I've noticed about a great deal of WF recipes is that they require the use of either a blender or food processor (or both). Although I had a blender, it wasn't a good one and I found myself getting frustrated by what it couldn't do. After some research, I found something out (that perhaps I should have already known, but didn't).

Blenders are for wet food, such as shakes and smoothies. They don't work for dry ingredients, chopping or dicing, or for doughs. I tried to make a spinach dip using my blender and it was a horrible failure. The blades spun around, pushing the ingredients to the sides, and then just spun in that empty space, not mixing or blending anything. 

So, for my anniversary, my husband bought me a Ninja blender/food processor. It's supposed to work for both wet and 'dry' ingredients and I'm very excited to use it to make some of the WF recipes that I haven't had success with previously. My old blender will get donated to Goodwill.

Anyway, I haven't had a chance to try these out yet, but here's a few of the soup recipes I plan to try using my Ninja. They ought to work, since they come from the Ninja cookbook. Some of the recipes will need substitutions to fit within WFPB guidelines, so I'll post my ideas for substitutions beside the original ingredients. If you try any of these recipes before I have a chance, be sure to let me know how they work out!




Island Butternut Squash Soup

3 cloves garlic, peeled
2 TBSP fresh ginger, peeled
1 Jalapeno pepper, seeded
1 Medium yellow onion, peeled, roughly cut
4 LBS. butternut squash, cooked, cubed and cooled
3 cups vegetable broth (sodium reduced is recomended)
1 tsp. salt (or to taste)
1 TBSP brown sugar (optional)

Place the garlic, ginger, pepper and onion in processor until finely chopped. Set aside.

Working in batches (if necessary), place the butternut squash in food processor and add broth, creating a pourable puree. Pour the pureed squash into a large saucepan and add the chopped vegetables, whisking until combined. Continue until all squash and vegetable broth has been used. Season with salt and sugar if desired. Heat on medium until simmering, about 8 minutes. Top with whole wheat croutons, if desired. Serves 4.

Cal 40, Fat 0g, Chol Omg, Sodium 999mg, Carbs 15g, Protein 3g, Fiber 3g, Calcium 65mg, potassium 518 mg.







Spicy Black Bean Soup

2 14 oz cans black beans, drained
1 jalapeno pepper, seeded, roughly cut
1 ripe tomato, roughly cut
1/2 lime, juiced
1/4 white onion, peeled, roughly cut
2 cloves garlic, peeled
1/4 red pepper, seeded, roughly cut
1/4 fresh cilantro, loosely packed
salt and pepper to taste

Place all ingredients into food processor and blend until smooth. Heat briefly or serve at room temperature. Serves 4

(Picture shoes soup slightly chunky rather than smooth. This would be left up to your personal preference). Would be great topped with my home-made chips!!

Cal 184, fat 1g, sat fat 0g, chol 0mg, sodium 696 mg, carbs 37g, protein 13g, calcium 98 mg, potassium 67mg






Hearty Vegetable Soup

1 Medium yellow onion, peeled, roughly cut
1 TBSP extra virgin olive oil  (*used for sauteing onion--reduce or omit)
2 cups kale leaves (optional)
1 lb broccoli florets
3 cups vegetable broth
1 carrot, peeled and sliced
1/2 cup corn kernals
1 cup canned kidney beans
1 cup cooked whole wheat pasta (bows or cork screws, etc.)
1 tsp. salt
1/8 tsp. cayenne pepper
1/2 tsp. ground black pepper (I suggest reducing this to 1/8 tsp. Very spicy)


Chop onion (or chop with food processor), then saute in saucepan over medium heat until soft. Add kale leaves, broccoli and vegetable broth. Bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer. Cover and simmer for 5 minutes. Remove from heat and let cool.

Working in batches if necessary, place the cooled mixture into the food processor and blend until smooth. Return to saucepan. Add carrots and let boil until carrots are tender. Then add corn, kidney beans, and cooked pasta.  Adjust the seasonings to taste and heat thoroughly on medium heat before serving. Makes 4 large servings.

*I think a variety of vegetables could be used in this recipe, including green beans or peas, cauliflower, etc. Kidney beans or pasta could be substituted or omitted, as well (just reduce vegetable broth). Would be great with potatoes!

Cal 213, Fat 6g, Sat fat 2g, Chol 5mg, sodium 1332 mg, carbs 31g, 
protein 12 g, fiber 5g, calcium 151 mg, potassium 602 mg

1 comment:

  1. Those recipes sound good. I suppose I can modify them because we don't have a food processor here. I think we do have one in Utah, but I've never used it. (We got it as a gift, I think.) Anyway, let us know how these turn out.

    ReplyDelete