Sunday, November 11, 2012

My first week of whole foods

Last Sunday, a week ago today, I made the decision to implement the whole food diet. Cutting out meat was no big deal since I don't like it anyway. Cutting out dairy was difficult, but cutting out sugar was my biggest obstacle.

Here are some foods that I ate this week (Excuse the poor photographs. Taking pictures of food is harder than I expected!):

One staple that I didn't expect to like so much was a big container of baby spinach leaves. I bought it at costco for about $6. I thought it would probably go bad, but I have used it in some way or another almost every day.

Today I had the spinach for lunch in this salad. It contains chopped up red apples, craisins, and sunflower nuts. I also had a serving of fried up potatoes. The potatoes were left over from a previous baked potato night. I sprayed my pan with Pam, and then just fried them up. I sprinkled a small amount of Season Salt and Garlic Powder. Nate dipped his in ketchup and I ate mine plain.



I used the spinach in a salad with mangos, blackberries, and almonds. No dressing needed!

I also used the spinach to make a smoothy. Surprisingly, you really can't taste it!


This smoothy, which contained strawberries, blackberries, a frozen banana, spinach, and orange juice (Costco sells orange juice without any added sugars and not from concentrate), turned out to be great! Some of the other smoothies I tried were less successful.

Even though I loved the smoothy, which I had as my breakfast, nobody else would drink it. Babies!

My favorite meal was the Mexican dish I made for dinner and then ate for lunch and dinner on another day. I made black beans in my slow cooker (one cup of beans, filled the slow cooker with water and cooked for about 6 hours and then drained the water out).

I made guacamole (two avocados, one tomato, a small amount of onion, lemon juice, and garlic powder, and a dash of salt)

Added salsa (this was store bought, but in the future I'd like to make my own. Then I piled this baby with lettuce, wrapped it up, and had a delicious meal!


The other key to my successful week was stocking my refrigerator with lots of foods I like that I can eat when I'm hungry or when I need a snack. I had oranges, apples, red pears, mangos, strawberries, blackberries, baby carrots, etc.

I found some apple sauce at Macey's with apples as the only ingredient and I switched to almond milk. I also had a large container of nuts for when I need a quick, on-the-road snack.

I also ate whole grain pasta (Brent's Marathon Pasta, to be exact) and lots of whole wheat bread with peanut butter made only from peanuts (no added oils or anything).

I tried some things that were big flops too. Nobody liked my stir fry on brown rice! Luckily, I asked Teresa Liu to teach me how to make it properly and she agreed! I am excited to learn how to make some vegitable dishes that people will like.


This was the Halloween candy in my house this week. Prior to implementing this diet, I would have told myself not to eat the candy, and then failed miserably. Candy is my drug! Surprisingly, I was very satisfied with the food I ate and wasn't tempted, but a few times, to eat this candy. One night early this week, Nate brought home Wendy's fries for dinner and I had to leave the room because the smell was very tempting. However, last night after Grace's dance recital everyone went to Wendy's and I wasn't tempted at all to cheat. I chatted and had a fun night, and then ate my own food once I got home. No big deal!

I'm looking forward to trying some new things this coming week and will report how it goes.

4 comments:

  1. YOU ROCK!! And inspire me. Great photos...I really HAVE to get a camera! I have one on my phone but can't figure out how to load the pics onto my computer. Yeah...dumb. Anyway, I'm trying spinach in my foods this week. I'll let you know how it goes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Man, that food looks great! It's similar to what we eat--spinach goes in tons of things. We'll use it even more now you have inspired us. We don't eat guacamole but we do eat refried beans, which is great on tacos and fajitas. I loved the photos, too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Spinach in a smoothie? Sounds gross, but I'll bet it was good.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have now used spinach twice in smoothies (and plan to do it every time I make them). You really can't taste it! Thanks, Andrea!

    ReplyDelete