Tuesday, November 13, 2012

How I Got Derailed

Here's what happened. Beverly and I went to visit a senior sister missionary. She lives next to a dining area in our building. When we got to the dining area, a large group of Spanish members--some of whom are our friends--were having a party. They insisted that we try some of their dessert. I said "no" until Beverly whispered in my ear that we can't offend them. Of course I didn't want to offend them or disappoint Beverly or make a big scene, so I agreed to try some.

So they gave us some honey-bread dessert. After that, they insisted that we try some of their cake-type dessert. After that, they insisted we try some of their pudding-type stuff.

By the time we got out of there, I had eaten three desserts. None was a large helping but, taken as a whole, they made up the most amount of sugar I had eaten in one sitting since I started the whole-food plant-based nutritional program. The next morning, my weight was up 1.8 pounds. :(

So here's what I learned from this experience: I have to be on guard and have a plan. Here's my plan for when this type of thing happens again.
  1. I will sincerely thank the people for their kindness, but tell them that I'm not hungry and that I'm trying to cut back on desserts because of health issues. Then I'll walk away.
  2. If that doesn't work, and they continue to insist or seem overly disappointed (and if they are people who I think would be offended otherwise), I'll say, "Okay, I'd love to try some, but only a tiny amount."
  3. I will then accept the smallest possible piece of dessert without offending them. I'll try to tell or show them the size that I'm willing to accept.
  4. I'll eat very slowly and try not to eat all of the dessert.
  5. I'll then thank them profusely and tell them how delicious it was and how full I am.
  6. I'll get back on my NP as fast as possible.
How does that sound?

1 comment:

  1. Sounds good! After three days of really struggling to stay focused on my PBNP, and feelings frustrated with no weight loss and a hurt ankle, I appreciate reading this. I tend to feel like making even one mistake means I'm a failure so I give up, when really, I need to just get back in my NP as soon as possible. So...that's what I'm doing. Trying to stay focused and concentrate on all the good stuff going on inside me, even if there's been little change on the outside. And reminding myself that I can say no to food is good, too. I can say no. I want to say no. I WILL say no. And if I trip up, I'll just get right back on the plan again.

    ReplyDelete