Wednesday, November 21, 2012

Sue's Easiest Chips-n-Chili EVER!

In an effort to help Dad achieve his goal of making 5 new recipes before the end of the year, I'm posting some of the dishes I love. Here's one.

I was looking for an easy meatless chili recipe, but couldn't find one so I made my own. You may not have access to the ingredients I used, but might be able to find good substitutes where you live. 



These photos are taken with my phone, so they aren't very good. Sorry.

Anyway, for the "chili", I used only two things. 

1. Blue Runner Chili Starter
2. Taco Bell Mexican Rice




The Chili Starter is meatless (you're supposed to add your own meat), so alone, it's quite runny. I decided to add rice to give it some substance, and in this case, added flavor. First, I cooked the rice according to the package directions (90 seconds in the microwave) then added it to the chili starter and then heated them both together until hot. That's it! Delicious with my home-made chips.

The Chili Starter contains the following ingredients:
 
Red Kidney Beans, Water, Onions, Celery, Green Bell Pepper, Tomato Puree (Tomato Concentrate, [Water, And Tomato Paste), Citric Acid), Minced Garlic, Salt, Cotton Seed Oil, Minced Onion, Ground Chili Peppers, Black Pepper, Red Pepper.

There are several versions of Blue Runner Chili Starter available, the one shown as well as one made with four or five different types of beans. I've used both and love them equally. I found this chili starter at my local Walmart, but it may be regional, in which case, you'll have to improvise (or order it online). I'm sure other brands are available, and it can be bought in 'dry' form, too (dehydrated, in a box).

The Mexican Rice contains the following ingredients:

Long grain rice, tomatoes, onions, peppers 

Other versions of Mexican rice could be used. Brown rice and salsa would be a great tasting, easy alternative as well.  


I miss chips!! So...here's how I made my own. Super easy!

You'll need:

Soft corn tortillas
Pam or other cooking spray (optional)
salt (optional)

1. Preheat oven to 150 degrees. Yes, only 150 degrees. 

2. Cut tortillas into wedges or strips 


2. Spray Pam onto cookie sheet (or use no-stick cookie sheet) and place wedges or strips onto pan. Spread evenly (although strips can be more than a single layer deep)

3. Bake at 150 degrees for 45 minutes to 2 hours (depends on the degree of crispness you want). Check after the first 30 minutes, using tongs to 'stir' chips around. Check again every 15 to 30 minutes, stirring chips until all the chips are crunchy. Do not over bake or chips will turn brown. 

4. While chips are still warm, lightly spray with Pam and dust with salt, if desired. 

These chips are okay alone, but much better when eaten with chili or used in a meatless taco salad. Enjoy!!

No comments:

Post a Comment