Wednesday, November 21, 2012

Pear-Cranberry Crumble

Last week I attended a party, nervous about what I'd be able to eat. I didn't want to draw attention to myself by not participating in the festivities (and had to attend the party since I was on the planning committee). I knew everyone would bring a dessert and I'd be tempted to eat them. Luckily, one of my friends is a semi-whole foods eater and brought this amazing recipe. It was so yummy (and I'm not a fan of pears or cranberries, so that's really saying something)! I've included the recipe as well as a few alternatives that you might try (though I can't vouch for them personally). 

This recipe can also be found in the Forks to Knives:A Plant Based Way to Health book by Gene Stone.







Topping:

1/2 cup rolled oats
1/2 cup chopped walnuts
1/4 cup white whole wheat flour (regular whole wheat flour may work, too)
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
2 tablespoons agave nectar (or honey)

Filling:

3 cups peeled, cubed Bosc pears 
2 cups fresh cranberries (or frozen if fresh aren't available)
1/3 cup brown sugar
2 1/2 tablespoons cornstarch

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees

2. For the topping, combine the oats, walnuts, flour, cinnamon, and nutmeg in medium bowl and mix well, then add agave nectar and mix until crumbled. Set aside.

3. For the filling, combine all the filling ingredients in a large bowl; mix well.

4. Transfer the pear mixture into a deep-dish pie plate and sprinkle the topping mixture over the top. Bake for about one hour, until the filling is bubbly and the top is lightly browned. Cool for 1 hour before serving.

Severs 8 to 10

Tips: 

Bosc pears are recommended because they hold their shape and don't get mushy when cooked. Other types of pears may work fine, however.

Len didn't like the cranberries (they were rather tart). I have seen similar recipes call for raspberries instead so if you aren't a fan of cranberries, try something else. Also, the recipe can be made with apples and blueberries instead of the pears and cranberries. 

This was sooo good that I had a second helping. There is some sugar (agave nectar, brown sugar), but I think it's a fairly good alternative to some of the high sugar, high fat desserts we're exposed to around the holidays. It helped me enjoy my party and still stay on track. Let me know what you think!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment